Food and Health
Posted On 29.03.2021
An unpleasant smell of mouth is an important problem for many inhabitants of our planet. Statistical data suggests that up to 50% of people somehow face this problem throughout their lives. This health situation has consequences and in the social sphere, in which everyone wants to show himself. Insecurity, shyness, communication problems - a small list of what the man threatens the unpleasant odor from the oral cavity. He can pursue a person, both constantly and in certain cases, for example, on an empty stomach. Doctors warn that the smell is able to cause both dental problems and diseases of the internal organs of a person. As for the scientific definition, in medicine, this phenomenon is called "Halitoz".
But you do not need to rush and rushing in search of not proven ways of treating and eliminating the problem that would save you from an annoying phenomenon in a matter of days. To begin with, it is recommended to find out what caused this unpleasant smell and reduce the estimated list of reasons to a smaller one. But best of all, of course, go to the reception to a qualified and skillful dentist. Any modern doctor's office is equipped with equipment that helps it quickly and without an abundant number of manipulations to find out if a person has signs of Galitoz and diagnose its causes.
If you do not take into account cases when cigarettes, onions, garlic are the cause of this problem, it is very often difficult to guess that the cause of the smell is health problems, sometimes even serious. Chronic diseases of such organs such as liver, stomach, intestines, pancreas, lungs can also lead to such a result, because bacteria can develop and multiply not only in the oral cavity, but also in other organs.
Symptoms of Galitoza
Oddly enough, many people do not even suspect such a problem due to the fact that they do not feel it. If you still have doubts about this, then the easiest way will be pleased to answer honestly for this question in a person you trust, or which you are close enough. If this path is too complicated for you, then the second and perhaps a more efficient option will be the appeal to the dentist and the subsequent passage of medical examination.
In extreme cases, you can try to independently test yourself for the presence of symptoms. It is necessary to pay attention to the fact that the use of toothpastes and chewing gums on a sufficiently long period can be compared to the unpleasant odor, so the test is best carried out a few hours after their use.
First of all, it is worth rising to the palm and quickly bring it to the nose. If after that feels bad smell, then you need to start treatment. You can also take advantage of the dental thread and insert it between your teeth, lifting a little (then sniff). If it has a bad smell, then the problem is really present.
Another effective way is the use of a cotton disk that needs to wipe without effort and the inner side of the cheeks (if after that it will unpleasant smelling, then it means that it is Halitoz).
Types of Galitoza
There are three main types of oral cavity, which is associated with an unpleasant odor:
- Physiological: This type of halitosis is greaterly associated with the characteristics of the oral cavity of a particular person. The cause of the problem becomes microflora, which develops in the language, most often, on the back of it. In this case, there is no reason to suspect in the smell of teeth or gums and diligently clean them several times a day. Your teeth can be in perfect condition, but the smell of mouth will not disappear. In such cases, it is recommended to check the language for the presence of a plaque. It is he, as a sign of the life of microorganisms, and may be the cause of an unpleasant smell.
- Pathological: in this form of Galitosis, inflammatory processes are becoming the reasons of smell, which pass in the oral cavity, or negative phenomena, which accompany the diseases of the internal organs of a person. Perhaps this species is much more dangerous and in the absence of symptoms of the first subspecies it is better to consult a doctor and not tighten with treatment.
- Pseudogalitosis: The safest view. In such cases, none of the people surrounding and interlocutors feel unpleasant smell, but the person himself worries about it. Such situations are often with those people who once had already sorted by Halitoz and successfully got rid of this problem, but at the same time they cannot psychologically free from concerns about stupid breathing.
Characteristics of smells
At the moment there are certain characteristics of odors that may notice a person about certain health problems:
- In case of problems associated with the pancreas, most often the smell of acetone occurs;
- If there is insufficiency or in connection with the problems of the kidneys, the smell of ammonia is manifested;
- pulmonary and bronchial problems are accompanied by a putrid smell;
- Problems of digestion organs bring the smell of hydrogen sulfide (swollen eggs);
- Gastritis brings with them an acid smell;
- If there are problems with the liver or bubble, the bitter smell is manifested;
- In dysbacteriosis and intestinal obstruction, there is a smell of cartoons;
- In case of kidney problems, the smell of urine appears.
The main reasons for the appearance of an unpleasant odor
There are many reasons due to which the unpleasant odor from the oral cavity can develop. Conditionally, they can be divided into such:
- Hygiene products that do not have sufficient quality (the brush is obliged to have maximum maneuverability, not too much degree of rigidity and head that can move). All this will help penetrate the most seriously available areas when cleaning the teeth and there will be no pieces of food, which in the future can lead to problems with teeth and unpleasant odor.
- Non-permanent teeth care: Doctors recommend to engage in teeth cleaning at least 2 times a day, for bacteria that are associated with caries will multiply and their productive gases will become a silent gases that are the cause of unpleasant odor.
- Smoking: Its duration can be the cause of such an uncomfortable phenomenon (moreover, smokers often have launched problems and diseases of teeth).
- The maximum reason is considered to be caries, in whose cavities are stuck the remains of food, rot and create a mistake of breathing.
- Diseases of human internal organs, such as problems with digestive bodies (gastritis).
- The use of poor-quality food or beverages (to such a fast food, products on simple carbohydrates and carbonated drinks).
Who is most often manifested by Halitoz?
There are groups of people who most often manifest this diagnosis and people who are most predisposed to it. Among these allocate suffering:
- Endocrine system disorders;
- from all kinds of hormonal disorders;
- complications associated with the functioning of the salivary glands;
- a tendency to gas formation;
- immunodeficiency and disorders in this area;
- inflammatory or infectious phenomena in the oral cavity.
Disorders of the intestine microflora in humans can in the same way can lead to an unpleasant odor of the oral cavity.
Is it worth a survey?
Most often such situations arise when a person cannot determine independently, what is the cause of hated unpleasant odor from the oral cavity. In such cases, tools and laboratory diagnostics will best be helped, and for this it is necessary to seek help from a specialist. Therefore, the most important recommendation is that if the smell arose and does not disappear for a long time, despite different hygienic measures that you are trying to eliminate it, you must necessarily need a medical examination and passage of a comprehensive examination. For more accurate analysis and identify specific reasons you need to visit several specialists. Among them: a gastroenterologist, a nutritionist, a periodontist. Also to be given general urine tests and blood.
In the office of the dentist, you can go a fairly fast and simple breathing test, which will determine if you have a halitosis or it is just GalitoFobia. Also, given the fact that the reasons for this phenomenon can be very diverse, testing is directed, both on the smell directly from the oral cavity and on the nasal breathing and pulmonary air.
The most effective way to eliminate the problems that are associated with an unpleasant odor of the mouth is regular care for the oral cavity. Proper and regular hygiene will help you get rid of the problem and ensure prevention so that in the future such problems do not repeat.
In order for all measures to be not useless need to be engaged in cleaning teeth at least 2 times a day. After each treatment, it is necessary to use the rinsing tool of the oral cavity (or simple water), clean the tongue from the plaque, which is the nutrient medium for the microorganism, which in the future may cause an unpleasant odor in the future. To do this, the toothbrushes with a special nozzle on the back side intended for cleaning the language are ideal.
Also, an ideal way to protect yourself in the future from such problems is a regular visit of the dentist, even despite the fact that there are no problems. Timely treatment of a small hearth problem will cost an order of magnitude cheaper financially and psychologically. The doctor regularly conducts inspections, inspects the mucous membrane, the teeth and, if necessary, prescribe a professional savage of the oral cavity (removes a harmful raid, eliminates the caries or its complications, infection, etc.).
The most important step on the way of deliverance will be the correction of the diet. First of all, it is worth removing those products that are generally known to the smell of mouth: onions, garlic, cheeses, sausages, etc. Their composition includes elements that, when interacting with microorganisms, provoke unpleasant odors.
In addition, one of the most important methods of struggle against the poor smell will be a refusal of bad habits. Many may be surprised, but to eliminate such problems, it is recommended to get rid of not only smoking, but also from frequent use of alcoholic and carbonated drinks.
Velvikova Nina Vladislavovna
Specialty: infectious, gastroenterologist, pulmonologist .
Common experience: 35 years .
Education: 1975-1982, 1mmi, San Gig, Higher Qualification, Infectious Physics .
Academic degree: Higher Phone, Candidate of Medical Sciences.
- Infectious diseases.
- Parasitic diseases.
- Urgent states.
We will be grateful if you use the buttons:
How to get rid of the unpleasant smell of mouth
From this article you will learn:
- Unpleasant smell of mouth - causes and treatment,
- What is the smell of acetone, ammonia, etc.
- How to get rid of the smell of mouth at home.
An unpleasant smell of mouth is customary called a professional term "Halitoz". Most often, patients have to face the so-called oral form of Galitose. Its reasons are the various problems in the oral cavity - bad hygiene, carious teeth, gum inflammation, chronic inflammation of almonds, nasal strokes and sinuses, etc.
It is also accepted to allocate - Halitoz from systemic reasons. In this case, the bad smell of the mouth is evolving not due to the problems of the oral cavity, the nose or sinuses, but is associated with the systemic pathology of the body - diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory and kidney organs, diabetes, the reception of medical drugs, etc. (Fig.1).
How is the formation of an unpleasant smell -
The first form of an unpleasant smell of mouth (the so-called "oral halitosis") is made to divide on physiological and pathological form. For example, a slight unpleasant smell, which in the morning is present in most people - is a physiological standard associated with a decrease in salivation in a dream, an abundance of ravenly epithelial cells, a decrease in fluid consumption. However, a sharp unpleasant smell is evidenced by some pathology.
The cause of physiological and pathological oral galitosis lies in the formation of the fish of the volatile compounds of sulfur, diamines, as well as short-chain fatty acids. These compounds are formed mainly due to some forms of anaerobic and gram-negative bacteria with proteolytic properties (Fig. 2). The only gram-positive bacterium that can take part in this is the stomatococcus mucilaginous.
Why smells of mouth: reasons (scheme 1-3)
When the amino acids such as cystin, cysteine and methionine) are cleavaged by these bacteria, cysteine and methionine). For example, hydrogen sulfide is formed from cysteine, and methyl mercaptan (Fig. 3) from methionine. These amino acids are always present in the oral fluid in small quantities, however, with unsatisfactory oral hygiene, their concentration in the oral fluid increases sharply.
Those. Once you have not cleaned your teeth after any intake or snack with candy or cookies - bacteria immediately begin the proteolytic cleavage of proteins / amino acids, and you can immediately say "Hello" - a unpleasant smell. The intensity of the unpleasant odor will be directly dependent on the concentration of hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan, diamines, as well as fatty acids with a small molecular weight.
Causes of Galitoza not oral origin - As we have already said above - an unpleasant smell of mouth can not appear due to problems with the oral cavity, but because of various systemic diseases. In each case, there will be a reason here. For example, with diabetes mellitus - the reason for the appearance of an unpleasant smell of acetone is the development of ketoacidosis, and with the severe pathology of the kidney, the smell of ammonia may appear (we will tell about all systemic reasons).
Unpleasant smell of mouth: causes and treatment
So why an unpleasant smell of mouth is formed - the reasons for oral galitosis in 85% of cases this is: food residues between teeth and an excess of microbial plaque, rotting carious teeth (including teeth under artificial crowns and bridges), chronic gum inflammation. This is all that arises in a consequence of poor quality and / or irregular cleaning of teeth.
The second group of the reasons for oral galitosis is - inflammation of the tonsils, chronic inflammation of the nasal cavity and the sinuses - especially in the presence of polyps in them. The smell of the child's breath often happens precisely because of these reasons. No need to think that if the nasal moves and sinuses are not in the mouth - it means that it cannot be smell. With all these diseases there is an increase in the secretion of mucus + constant infectious growth.
From the cavity of the nose, it all flows into the nasophalnik, and then falls into the Rothoglotka - to the root of the tongue, almonds. The mucus (secretion of the mucous glazed glazier) is rich in amino acids, sobering epithelial cells, pathogenic microorganisms, which makes it an excellent basis for the appearance of an unpleasant odor. By the way, the unpleasant smell of mouth in smokers is associated with the abundance of mucus and sputum. Below we will look at all the main reasons and tell me - how to remove the smell of mouth.
1. Microbial collapse on teeth, food residues -
Regular cleaning of teeth is needed to remove microbial plaque and food residues. Both are the main source of unpleasant odor in most people. Food residues are a source of amino acids, which by proteolysis (i.e., rotting) are converted by microbial plaque bacteria - into firing volatile compounds (hydrogen sulfide, methylmercaptan, diamines, etc.).
Microbial raid, solid dental -
Moreover, food residues are not only an amino acid supplier for their conversion to poor chemicals. Food residues contain carbohydrates, processed by cariestogenic bacteria of the oral cavity in the milk acid, which leads to the dissolution of the enamel and the formation of caries. The resulting acid shifts the pH of the oral fluid into the acidic side (below 5.5), which is necessary for the start of decarboxylation of amino acids to diamines - the second group of fuses.
The more you have a microbial plaque and solid tooth stone on your teeth - the faster the process of rotting food residues and their transformation into the volatile compounds of sulfur and diamines occurs. Therefore, it is very important to brush your teeth after each food intake, and not only brush and paste, but also tooth thread. Without dental thread, it is impossible to remove rotting nutritional residues stuck between the teeth. And the speech here is not only about large stuck pieces of meat.
The most dangerous petty sticky foodstuffs that do not cause anxiety and therefore people do not consider it necessary to remove them from the dental gaps, believing that rinsing will be enough. In fact, such residues cannot remove not only rinsing, but also a toothbrush. This can be done only with the help of a tooth thread (floss).
How to get rid of the unpleasant smell of mouth in this case - first, you need to sign up for ultrasonic cleaning to the dentist, which will remove all dental sediments and polishes the teeth. It will cost you about 3,500 rubles. Secondly, without it, everything else will be in vain - it is necessary to fully correct all the shortcomings in the oral hygiene. Use the thread after each meal, avoid snacks between the main meals, regularly clean the tongue from the plaque, etc.
→ Rules of hygiene and teeth cleaning technique
2. Microbial raid in language -
The microbial collapse on the back of the tongue is one of the most frequent causes of the unpleasant odor. The language is an ideal niche for anaerobic bacteria, lunned epithelial cells, precipitated layer of proteins and carbohydrates. Therefore, the processes of rotting / proteolysis of amino acids occur in the language.
The regular cleaning of the language has significantly reduces the intensity of the processes of amino acids and the formation of fading compounds in the oral cavity. It is best to clean the tongue not with a dental clear (it will not be possible to remove a lot of plates), but with the help of special scrapers for the language.
3. Inflammatory diseases of the gum -
Increasing the number of microbial plates on the teeth due to irregular hygiene - sooner or later leads to the development of gum inflammation. It can be superficial and affected only the edge part of the gums around the teeth - such inflammation is called the thermal gingivitis, or accompanied by the destruction of the bone, the mobility of the teeth and the thread from under the gums - such inflammation is called the term permontitis.
With these diseases, the amount of pathogenic infection, which causes an unpleasant smell or increases its degree of severity sharply increases or periodontal pockets. Especially often unpleasant smell bothers such patients against the background of the exacerbation of the inflammatory process, because In these periods, it often occurs in the poverty from periodontal pockets.
How to remove the smell of mouth with the inflammation of the gums - it is best to start visiting a periodontologist (it is this dentist who is professionally engaged in the treatment of gum inflammation). The first stage of treatment as in the previous case will be the conduct of ultrasonic cleaning of the teeth, which is necessary to remove the entire microbial field and the dental stone. It is very important to remove not only the appropriate, but the most important is fit dental deposits.
After the doctor removed the dental seduction to you - anti-inflammatory therapy is prescribed (a course of treatment is usually 10 days). Usually the complex consists of antiseptic rinsing and appliqués of the anti-inflammatory gel for gums. If the teeth cleaning can be made only at the dentist, then anti-inflammatory therapy is carried out by the patient at home - after appointments and recommendations of the dentist.
4. With inflammation of the gums from the tooth wisdom -
In the teething of the tooth of wisdom, part of its chewing surface is often partially covered with a hood from the mucous membrane. A space is created between the mucous and crown of the tooth, in which pathogenic global infection is well multiplied. Such a disease is called the pericoronite or inflammation of the hood over the tooth of wisdom. To understand: how to eliminate the smell of mouth in this case - read the article on the link below.
→ How to treat hood inflammation
5. Caries and rotting of teeth under crowns -
Carious defects in the teeth are an excellent place in which the nutritional remains rot and infection accumulates. And here, probably, it is not even necessary to talk anything else about that - why does the mouth stink in this case, and that you need to do with it. The answer can be only one - to go to the dentist, and very strange if someone does not understand.
In addition, many people complain about an unpleasant smell that comes from dental crowns. Firstly, such a smell may indicate the rotting of the tooth under the crown. The causes of the start of rotting under the crown can be a poor fit of the edge of the crown to the tooth or unsatisfactory oral hygiene. Secondly, if we are talking about bridges - the smell may be a consequence of the accumulation of a toothache under under an intermediate part of a bridge-like prosthesis.
How to get rid of the smell of mouth in the case of crowns - it is necessary to contact the orthopedic dentist, which, if necessary, will make the X-ray of the tooth under the crown, or will send you to clean dental sediments. If the visual inspection or a snapshot of the tooth confirms that the tooth tissue is rotting-in the best case, the crown will be removed and removed to the tooth, in the worst case - the tooth will go to the removal.
6. The smell from dentures -
Bad hygiene of removable dentures leads to the formation of a bacterial film and dental deposits on them. In this case, the prosthesis itself begins to be a source of infection and unpleasant odor. How to deal with the smell of mouth, if you use removable dentures - read the article on the link below.
→ How to draw disinfection of removable prostheses
The smell of acetone from the mouth of the child and adult -
one) In children - The smell of acetone or a sweetly smell of rotten apples are symptoms of ketoacidase development, which is expressed in a significant increase in the content of ketone bodies in the blood. This can occur for two reasons. The first reason for ketoacidosis is diabetes mellitus. Therefore, the sweet-dog fruit smell or the smell of acetone from the mouth in a child - may be the first sign of the 1-type diabetes.
The second cause of ketoacidosis in children is most often the result of errors in the diet. For example, long-term hungry pauses, or excessive consumption of oily foods (simultaneously with insufficient consumption of carbohydrates), as well as in sufficient water consumption during the day. Also ketoacidosis in children can develop against the background of somatic, infectious, endocrine diseases and the damage to the CNS.
2) In adults - The smell of acetone from the mouth in an adult: the reasons for this will also lie in the development of ketoacidosis. Only here, if we are talking about diabetic ketoacidosis - the smell of acetone or the fruit smell will testify about type 2 diabetes mellitus (and not 1 type as in children). If we are talking about non-biotic ketoacidosis, then most often its reasons in adults is the use of alcohol against the background of malnutrition / starvation, i.e. Worst food.
Thus, if an adult or a child has an acetone, then the first thing to do is to take the analysis of blood sugar and take the consultation of the endocrinologist.
Unpleasant smell of mouth in a child - other reasons
If the child smells the mouth, then this may be associated not only with diabetes or metabolic disorders. Below we listed the main reasons for which the unpleasant smell of the child occurs most often.
Other most frequent reasons –
- chronic atrophic rhinitis,
- Polyps in the nose (shape of hypertrophic rhinitis),
- acute and chronic tonsillitis,
- acute and chronic bronchitis,
- bronchiectatic disease
- purulent inflammation of the apparent sinuses of the nose (especially in the presence of polyps),
- With oral respiration and xerostomy (observed in 40% of children).
Accordingly, to determine the cause you need to consult a children's dentist and ENT doctor. Never refer to state children's dental clinics, because If you find normally Laura in the state Polyiklik, somehow, but you can, then the dentist is never.
Interesting fact - Nutrition with a too large amount of dairy products contributes to an increase in production by mucus mucous glands (in the mouth, in the cavity of the nose, sinuses of the nose). Therefore, dairy diet can also contribute to the appearance of unpleasant odor.
With systemic diseases -
Similarly, as in diabetes in exhaled air, the smell of acetone or apples can be felt - different systemic diseases of the body can also attach different smells of patients. For instance:
- sour smell of mouth - with bronchial asthma or cystic fibrosis of the lungs,
- The smell of ammonia from mouth (urea) - with chronic renal failure,
- Trimetylamining - gives an unpleasant smell of fish,
- in the cirrhosis of the liver (due to the reduction of its function) - part of the metabolites is removed from the body through the lungs, which leads to the appearance of a specific odor, which can be sweet or resemble the smell of excrement,
- The smell of rotten eggs from the mouth - with Lignaci disease (violation of cystine metabolism),
- The smell of rot from the mouth - the reason may be ulcerative-necrotic gingivitis,
- With a violation of the patency of a thin or large intestine - the smell of feces from the mouth.
For diseases of the gastrointestinal
There are 2 pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract), whose relationship with an unpleasant smell was proved in clinical studies. These include gastroesophageal reflux disease, as well as the presence in the stomach and intestines of Helicobacter Pylori microorganism, which is one of the reasons for the development of ulcerative disease. Moreover, the formation of an unpleasant smell is connected only with three strains of Helicobacter pylori (namely h.pylori ATCC 43504, H.pylori SS 1, H.pylori DSM 4867).
Other types of H.pylori do not smell and, therefore, are not associated with Halitoz. It should be noted that large families have a threat of cross-infection H.pylori. To identify the carriage, a respiratory test with urea, the definition of serum antibodies, saliva analysis, biopsy, and molecular DNA analysis are used. How to get rid of poor smell of mouth with h.pylori - treatment with specific antibiotics (amoxicillin, clarithromycin), as well as drugs of the proton pump inhibitors.
In addition, there are metabolic disorders in the intestine, for example, trimethylamination, the presence of which causes a specific fish smell that comes from exhaled air and in general from the whole body. By the way, it is this genetic disease that is the most common cause of an undiagnosed unpleasant smell of the body.
In respiratory diseases -
With diseases such as acute and chronic rhinitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, pharyngitis, bronchitis and bronchiectatic disease - there is an excessive accumulation of mucus and sputum, which causes an accelerated growth of pathogenic bacteria and as a result - the appearance of unpleasant odor. By the way, such a reason for Galitose is more common in children (than in adults), because Children are more susceptible to the development of respiratory infections.
Especially often the smell of the IPT appears in the polypose nature of the inflammatory process, i.e. When polyps are formed in nasal nasal sinuses. This will necessarily require not only drug treatment, but first of all - the surgical removal of polyps. Treatment should be carried out at the ENT doctor and is to appoint antiseptic and antibacterial drugs.
In acute and chronic tonsillitis, special attention should be paid to the presence of deep furrows (lacun) on the surface of the almonds, because It is in them that bacteria are accumulated, the epithelial cells, mucus, etc., and so as to cope with the smell in this case, the lacuna regular washing will be required. According to statistics, more than 50-70% of patients with chronic sinusitis complain about an unpleasant smell.
In children and adults with an unpleasant smell of mouth in 40% of cases, robust breathing is diagnosed. Why it is harmful, and it is important to breathe exactly through the nose ... The fact is that when breathing through the mouth, the mucous membrane of the oral cavity occurs due to the accelerated evaporation of water (oral fluid). All this leads to an accelerated formation of dental deposits, contributes to the development of dysbacteriosis of the oral cavity.
Owl breathing, as a rule, is a symptom of chronic inflammatory diseases of the nasal cavity or nasal sinuses, possibly a consequence of the curvature of the nasal partition. In this case, you need to contact the ENT doctor. However, very often, the permanent dryness of the oral cavity is observed and with a normal nose type of respiration (see Junction).
In patients with xerostomy -
In case of falling the volume of saliva secretion, there is a disease, referred to as xerostomia (constant dryness of the oral cavity). In this disease, patients are very often complaining about unpleasant odor with mouth. Xerostomy may arise against the background of drugs of drugs - hypotensive drugs, antidepressants, diuretic and antihistamine drugs, as well as drugs of the NSAID group - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory funds.
Other reasons may be dehydration, the presence of diabetes mellitus, autoimmune diseases, in the absence of appetite, with a frequency use of rinsers for the oral cavity (with an alcohol content), as well as in old age. The treatment of xerostomy is carried out by regularly artificially moisturizing the mucous membranes, as well as means of stimulating saliva production. In addition, such patients are prescribed special toothpastes and rinses,
Smell from the use of garlic and bow -
Having a strong smell of food products (such as garlic and onions) - after suction from the intestine, they fall into the bloodstream. Together with blood, these substances fall into the lungs, and therefore, in exhaled air, the smell of this particular food product will be felt. If you want to quickly eliminate the smell of garlic from the mouth, then we will disappoint you - only time will help you.
How to get rid of bad smell from mouth -
Treatment of oral galitosis should begin with an inspection of the oral cavity and the consultation of the dentist. This will allow you to immediately eliminate many unpleasant diseases, for example, malignant tumors of the oral cavity, which can also give an unpleasant odor. Treatment of Galitose will develop from the following events -
- Reduction of the number of microbial plaque
- Proper oral hygiene,
- Treatment of accompanying gum inflammation,
- The use of funds blocking sulfur volatile compounds
- disguise unpleasant odor
- to give up smoking.
1. Reducing the number of plaque -
- Mechanical abbreviation - Regular cleaning of teeth after each meal, the use of dental filament, regular cleaning of the back of the tongue with special scrapers - all this allows you to maximally reduce the number of pathogenic bacteria in the oral cavity and foodstuffs playing a major role in the appearance of unpleasant odor.
Cleaning the teeth with brush and paste is able to remove only a soft microbial dental flare. If you have solid dental deposits on your teeth - you can only remove them in the dentist, for example, by ultrasonic tooth cleaning. This is especially important if you have chronic gingivitis or periodontitis. Moreover, with periodontitis, it is necessary to remove not only all competent dental sediments, but also all fit sediments localized in periodontal pockets.
- Chemical abbreviation - Most often for this, rinsers for oral cavity and toothpastes based on chlorhexidine antiseptics and cetylpyridine, as well as a combination of antibiotic triclosane with copolymer and sodium fluoride are used. Studies have shown that 3 hours after using chlorhexidine, the smell intensity was less than 45%, and when the combination of triclosan / copolymer / sodium fluoride is used by approximately 84%.
Fluoride toothpastes also slow down the growth of the plaque and reduce the smell intensity to 80%, but if fluorides do not go in combination with chlorhexidine or triclosis - the duration of this effect will not be very long (up to 4-5 hours). Essential oils reduce the smell only briefly. The effectiveness of the listed funds will be significantly lower in patients with gingivitis and periodontitis. They have basic treatment should be to remove all dental sediments - followed by a course of anti-inflammatory therapy.
The dentist is prescribed rinsing with antiseptics and anti-inflammatory gels (for example, holisal gel) course within 10-12 days. Also, in the presence of periodontal pockets, the patient is appointed to their regular rinsing or curetzh. And only after such comprehensive therapy, for example, with a triclosis - can really have a really good effect.
Important : The application of the course listed above the antiseptics and antibiotics contributes to a decrease in the number of pathogenic microorganisms, but this effect is temporary and it will last predominantly until you use these funds. In order not to harm health, the course of antiseptics should not be more than 1 month. Therefore, in order to avoid rapid re-restoration of unwanted bacteria and the smell associated with them - a course of probiotics is assigned, for example, an IMUDON drug.
This probiotic (in the form of tablets intended for resorption in the oral cavity) - normalizes the composition of the microflora of the oral cavity and suppresses the growth of unwanted bacteria. The use of the IMUDON can be assigned not only immediately after applying antiseptics, but also as periodic preventive courses, for example, a re-course every 1-2 months.
2. Right oral hygiene -
Reducing the formation of volatile compounds of sulfur, diamines and other fading substances - perhaps only in the case of regular purification of the oral cavity from food residues and microbial plates. Therefore, without regular oral hygiene, it will be impossible to cope with an unpleasant smell. On the video below you can familiarize yourself with the technique of chutka teeth with brush and dental thread. More detailed information on the cleaning of the teeth - you can find in the article on the link below.
→ Detailed rules of hygiene and teeth cleaning technique
How to use dental thread and toothbrush -
3. Transformation of volatile components of sulfur -
Metal ions with affinity to sulfur can convert sulfur-containing gases into non-volatile compounds without odor. For example, zinc lactate or zinc acetate can be used. Moreover, the effectiveness of zinc compounds will be higher if the means of means simultaneously with the zinc will contain an antiseptic - chlorhexidine or cetylpyridine (and even better, if both, because cetylpyridine enhances the bactericidal chlorhexidine effect).
An interesting point is that the triclosan in addition to the antibacterial effect also has a direct action against the volatile sulfur compounds. However, the effect of triclosane on the volatile compounds of sulfur mainly depends on the copolymer with which it always goes in combination. Below you can familiarize yourself with the toothpastes and rinsers in which there is such a combination.
4. Masking odor -
The use of various sprays with mint oil of pepper or menthol, mint tablets or chewing gum - has only a short-term camouflage effect. Basically, they increase the production of saliva, which leads to a temporary dissolution of the volatile sulfur compounds in saliva. But it only works a short period of time.
Means of hygiene from the smell of mouth -
1. Toothpaste COLGATE ®Total Pro "Healthy Breath" -
- Manufacturer - Colgate Palmolyiv,
- Active substances - Triklosan combination / copolymer / sodium fluoride (1450 ppm),
- The price for Tuba is 75 ml - from 160 rubles.
Comment : COLGATE TOTAL PRO Toothpaste - Healthy breathing contains a very effective combination of triclosane / copolymer / sodium fluoride, which, according to clinical studies, is one of the best - in order to reduce unpleasant odor from the mouth. Triklozan in combination with a copolymer has not only an antibacterial effect, but also is able to capture the volatile compounds of sulfur (as well as zinc connections).
Additional content of fluoride makes this paste more efficiently, because Fluoro not only strengthens his teeth, protecting them from caries, but has moderate antiseptic properties, also holding back the growth of pathogenic microflora. We consider this paste the best in composition - from all similar toothpastes from the smell of mouth.
2. Pressident Defense toothpaste -
- Manufacturer - Italy,
- active substances - hexetidine, cetylpyridine, sodium fluoride (1450 ppm), thyme extract, propolis,
- abrasiveness - RDA 75,
- The price for Tuba is 50 ml - from 140 rubles.
Comment : Pressident Defense's toothpaste has a very good composition, in which a combination of bactericidal hexitidine and cetylpyridine components is underway, as well as fluoride, which also holds back the growth of pathogenic microflora. Anti-inflammatory components of thyme and propolis. Use 2-3 times a day for 1 month, then a break, during which it is better to use the probiotic IMUDON and rinsers with zinc (24stoma.ru).
3. Halita Rinser (Dentaid) -
- Manufacturer - Spain,
- active substances - chlorhexidine 0.05%, cetylpyridine 0.05%, zinc lactate 0.14%, xylitis 10%,
- Does not contain alcohol,
- Price for 150 ml - from 190 rubles.
Comment : The excellent rinse composition, which contains not only antiseptics (chlorhexidine and cetylpyridine), but also zinc lactate, capturing the volatile compounds of sulfur. Contains a high concentration of xylitol to normalize the acidity of the oral cavity. Does not contain alcohol. Apply by the course up to 1 month, after which it is desirable for the course of probiotics (IMUDON).
4. COLGATE Rinser ®Total Pro "Protection" -
- Manufacturer - Colgate Pamoliv,
- Active substances - zinc lactate, cetylpyridine, sodium fluoride (225 ppm),
- Does not contain alcohol,
- The price for 250ml is from 200 rubles.
Comment : A good combination of cetylpyridine antiseptic with zinc lactate, neutralizing the volatile sulfur connections. Unfortunately, the manufacturer does not indicate the packaging of the concentration of the main active ingredients, but by experience we can say that the Colgate Total's toothpaste and rinsers series have always had good quality and efficiency. Big plus - affordable price.
5. CB-12 rinser -
- Manufacturer - Sweden,
- Active substances - chlorhexidine 0.025%, zinc acetate 0.3%, sodium fluoride (225 ppm),
- Contains alcohol,
- The price for 250 ml - from 720 rubles.
Comment : Also, as well as the previous remedy, the SV-12 rinser has a good composition, however, in our opinion, its value is very overestimated. Do not apply motorists and patients with dry oral cavity, because It contains alcohol. Minus - the chlorhexidine concentration is only 0.025% (instead of a traditional 0.05%), which is apparently done to reduce the risk of dysbacteriosis of the oral cavity during prolonged use.
Nevertheless, such a decrease causes doubts in a sufficient antiseptic effect of chlorhexidine in such a concentration. If you plan to apply rinsers with antiseptics not by courses, but almost constantly, then this concentration may make sense. But on the other hand, the content of alcohol makes it impossible to be too long use, because Alcohol in this case will cause constant dryness of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity.
6. PERIO-AID Rinser 0.05% (Dentaid) -
- Manufacturer - Dentaid (Spain),
- active substances - chlorhexidine 0.05%, cetylpyridine 0.05%,
- Does not contain alcohol,
- The price for 500 ml is from 300 rubles. We hope that our article on the topic: the smell of mouth what to do - it turned out to be useful to you!
1. Add. Vocational education of the author for periodontology, 2. Based on the personal experience of the periodontologist, 3. National Library of Medicine (USA), 4. The National Center for Biotechnology Information (USA), 5. "Therapeutic dentistry. Tutorial "(Borovsky E.).
Information from this section cannot be used for self-diagnosis and self-treatment. In case of pain or other exacerbation of the disease, diagnostic studies should appoint only the attending physician. To make a diagnosis and proper appointment of treatment, you should contact your attending physician.
An unpleasant smell of mouth is the causes of the appearance, under what diseases, diagnosis and methods of treatment occurs.
Halitoz is a medical term used to describe the unpleasant smell of mouth.
An unpleasant smell of mouth can cause social and psychological problems.
People suffering from Halitoz have difficulty creating families, employment and everyday communication with the surrounding people.
Types of Galitoza
There are three fundamentally different states that are associated with the perception of stupid respiration by the patient himself and others:
- True Halitoz - the presence of unpleasant odor of the mouth, confirmed by objective research methods. The physiologically true halitosis, due to the peculiarities of the microflora of the oral cavity, and the pathological, which is a sign of the disease.
- Pseudogalitosis - barely caught smell of mouth, which is perceived by the patient as intense and unpleasant.
- GalitoFobia is a persistent conviction in the presence of unpleasant smell of mouth in the absence of confirmation of its presence. It often occurs in patients after the treatment of true Galitosis and pseudogalitosis, when confidence or fear remains that the unpleasant smell remained.
Causes of unpleasant smell of mouth
An unpleasant smell is based on the formation of volatile compounds: hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methyl mercaptan.
These substances are the cleavage of sulfur-containing amino acids, which are part of saliva and gums liquid, microorganisms living in the oral cavity. Depending on the substances allocated, patients describe different unpleasant odors: rotten eggs, rotten cabbage, sulfur, gasoline, garlic, spoiled cheese or fish.
The formation of volatile compounds in the oral cavity depends on various factors. The most common of them:
- Balance of microflora in the oral cavity and the presence of an active source of microbes (launched caries, periodontal disease, dental flare, etc.);
- favorable conditions for the reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms (acidity, the presence of food and dysbiosis of the oral cavity);
- Quality and amount of saliva (dry mouth - the second most prevalence is the cause of unpleasant smell of mouth);
- non-compliance with the hygiene of the oral cavity;
- Features of the diet;
- addiction to tobacco and alcohol;
- Insufficient care for dentures and braces.
The features of the structure of the language (geographical language, a folded language, etc.) can lead to the formation of a dense floor, which serves as a good nutrient medium for microorganisms. As a result of their increased activity, an unpleasant smell occurs.
Insufficient salivation is also one of the possible causes of Galitosis: the ineffectiveness of the cleansing function of saliva leads to a delay in food particles and the raised cells of the epithelium, the decomposition process of which can be accompanied by an unpleasant odor.
Other reasons for the smell of mouth can be various pathological processes in the lungs, upper gastrointestinal tract, nose sinuses, larynx.
For example, with cirrhosis of the liver, a specific liver smell of mouth occurs. The smell of acetone appears in the development of severe complication of diabetes mellitus - ketoacidosis. Uremic breathing with the smell of ammonia is characteristic of patients with finite stages of chronic kidney disease.
The use of certain medicines can lead to a decrease in the separation of saliva and indirectly contribute to the growth of pathogenic microbes in the mouth. Long-term antibacterial and hormonal therapy (glucocorticosteroids, estrogen and progesterone) can change the balance of microflora of the oral cavity and provoke a halitosis.
What diseases are there any breaths?
An unpleasant smell of mouth to a quarter of all cases occurs in the pathology of the ENT organs.
The zone of reinforced reproduction of bacteria, as a result of the activity of which the unpleasant smell is formed, are nose, nasopharynx, apparent sinuses and almonds. Chronic inflammatory and allergic processes contribute to excessive mucus production. In chronic tonsillitis (inflammation of the almonds), there is a cluster of mucus, dead epithelium, food residues and bacteria in crypta (deepening) almonds. Casomic traffic jams are formed. Such traffic jams have an extremely unpleasant smell and may be the cause of long true Galitosis.
An unpleasant smell of mouth can be one of the first signals about the initial stages of malignant neoplasms of the oral cavity and nose. Unbreakable breathing is possible in diseases of the bronchopulmonary system, especially those related to the collapse of the pulmonary fabric. Among them: bronchitis, bronchiectatic disease, pneumonia, pulmonary abscess, lung carcinoma.
Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract can also lead to the appearance of unpleasant smell of mouth.
The smells of the stomach can be disturbed with vomiting, belching, gastroofine reflux (back casting from the stomach in the esophagus, accompanied by heartburn), pylorostenosis (narrowing of the outlet of the stomach), hernia of the teagole hole of the diaphragm. Among other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, which cause an unpleasant smell of mouth, can be distinguished by ulcerative disease of the stomach and neoplasm.
In disruption of the ability to split some compounds, for example, lactose or gluten, an unpleasant smell of mouth appears in the event of a diet violation.
Pseudogalitosis and Galitopobia often arise after the episode of true Galitosis or increased social anxiety due to the wrong interpretation of the response of others. The reason for the development of these states can be increased sensitivity to smells, the pathology of the structures of the brain, responsible for the recognition of odors, psychiatric pathology (obsessive states, olfactory hallucinations), epilepsy.
Also, do not forget about the most common causes of unpleasant odor: no adequate oral hygiene, use of some products (garlic, bow, cabbage, etc.), tobacco and alcohol abuse.
Among the nutritional reasons for Galitose in children should mention mixtures with a high choline (or vitamin B4), which in some cases even during normal metabols can cause fish smell from the mouth.
What do doctors should contact with an unpleasant smell of mouth?
With Halitoz, it makes sense to contact the following specialists:
Diagnostics and examination with stupid breathing
First of all, it is necessary to visit the dentist to identify possible causes of unpleasant odor. The doctor will inspect the oral oily cavity for the presence of sources of unpleasant odor: dental stones, caries and other oral diseases. It is possible to take a smear on the microflora.
If, after performing the necessary dental procedures, the unpleasant smell is maintained, it is necessary to visit other specialists.
According to the testimony, the following studies can be assigned:
- Biochemical blood test (blood glucose level, creatinine, urea, hepatic enzymes - Alt, AST, bilirubin level;
When communicating with you people depart on a "respectful" distance or completely turn away? Friends persistently offer chewing gum, despite your refusal? This may indicate Halitoz (this is how the medicine is called an unpleasant smell of mouth).
It is impossible to ignore the Halitoz because it not only brings discomfort to social life, but may indicate serious health problems. What? We will tell you about it!
In addition, consider 10 simple ways that will help you quickly get rid of the unpleasant smell of mouth at home!
But we want to warn you: if Halitosis is caused by violations in the work of the internal organs, and not with love for Luka or garlic, then you can get rid of it from it only under one condition - by eliminating the cause of the disease provoked the appearance of "amber" from the oral cavity.
Causes of Galitoza
1. Inadequate oral hygiene
Often the reason for stupid respiration is the growth and reproduction of anaerobic bacteria. Products of their livelihoods are sulfur volatile compounds, which give an unpleasant smell.
What to do?
- Do not be lazy to brush your teeth twice a day Using not only a toothbrush, but another tooth thread and special rams for high-quality cleaning of the interdental space.
- Clean the language from the plaque.
- Use therapeutic and preventive rinses For mouth, if you can not clean your teeth after meals. They not only eliminate the unpleasant smell, but also prevent the reproduction of bacteria that destroy the teeth.
- Twice a year Sanue dentist at the dentist .
2. Flaw in language
© AndreyPopov / Canva
Experts refer to the language of one of the common causes of Galitoz.
If the tongue is covered with white or yellow raid At the same time, an unpleasant smell comes from the mouth, it's time to visit the doctor, as it may indicate serious pathologies not only by the oral cavity, but also internal organs. It is not for nothing that the doctor at the reception is asking us to make a mouth and show a language that is the indicator of our health.
White thick raid on the entire area of the tongue in combination with an acidic smell of mouth It may be a symptom of the initial stage of gastritis or stomach ulcers. If the pathology data moved into a chronic form, the collapse in the tongue will become yellow, and the smell of the mouth is fervent and bitter.
To the listed symptomatics joined the taste of bile in the mouth? This may indicate problems with a bubble bubble.
Reddish - sign of xerostomy (or chronic dryness in the mouth).
Curbed white flask - Indicates the development of candidal stomatitis. With this disease, redness and inflammation of the gums are also observed.
If the formation of plaque is accompanied by redness and a minor increase in language, as well as the appearance of rotten smell of mouth - most likely, you have a glossite (the disease in which language tissues is inflated).
What to do?
Daily during the hygiene of the oral cavity to clean the language.
To do this, you can use special scrapers for the language or the back side of the toothbrush equipped with rubber or plastic embossed strips.
But do not overdo it! Intensive cleaning of the tongue can cause injuries of the stuffs of the language.
If the cleaning of the tongue from the plaque did not affect the evil smell of mouth, consult a doctor!
3. Dry mouth (xerostomy)
© Chih-Yuan Ronnie Wu / Canva
Saliva performs many functions in the oral cavity:
- moisturizes the mucous membrane;
- warns the development of ulcers and speeds up the process of their healing;
- removes dead cells from the surface of the language;
- cleans the oral cavity from food residues;
- Participates in digestive processes.
In case of insufficient salivation, pathogenic microorganisms begin to reproduce actively, and their livelihoods are to decompose, provoking the specific smell of mouth.
The fight against chronic dryness in the mouth includes several directions:
- Normalization of the water-salt balance.
- Compliance with drinking balance (in order to avoid dry mouth and prevent the appearance of an unpleasant odor Eat at least 2 liters per day.
- Elimination of the main causes of dryness in the mouth, among which diabetes, hormonal disorders, alcohol and narcotic substances, tobacocco, autoimmune diseases are separated.
Separate attention deserves the reception of certain drugs. Thus, antibiotics, antihistamines, diuretic and psychotropic drugs can provoke dryness in the mouth, and medicines for diabetics and hypotonics.
4. Dental diseases
© undefined undefined / canva
It is not necessary to have seven spans in the forehead to associate the appearance of stupid breathing with diseases of gums and teeth.
With inflammatory diseases of the gums and oral cavities (Stomatitis, Glossite, Gingivitis, Pulpitis, Periodontitis, Ginodontitis) The mouth is allocated a huge amount of toxic substances provoking an unpleasant peeling odor.
Rock and stones on teeth - Another focus of chronic infection, guilty of the development of Galitoza.
Carious cavities , in which the remains of food are accumulated daily and the armies of bacteria are multiplied, the destruction of the teeth and the appearance of rotten smell of mouth are caused.
Want to have fresh breath and a hollywood smile? Timely treat your teeth and do not forget about preventive inspections from the dentist twice a year!
If, after visiting the dentist and eliminate pathological processes in the oral cavity, the unpleasant smell is still preserved, it is necessary to dig deeper, namely to examine the state of the internal organs.
5. ENT diseases
© Tharakorn / Canva
According to statistics, в 10% of cases of Halitoz provoked by the diseases of the ENT organs: tonsillitis, rhinitis (including allergic), sinusitis, sinusitis, angina. With these pathologies from the oral cavity, a sharp smell occurs.
Want to forget about him, how about a terrible dream? Treat ENT diseases in a timely manner, but will help you with a otolaryngologist in this!
6. Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
© HANK GREBE / CANVA
Gastritis, peptic diseases, alcohol abuse, unbalanced food, obesity, stress There may be provoked by the non-nutrition of the food sphincter. This is fraught with a violation of displacement of food and fenders in our body, the consequence of which is an unpleasant odor from the oral cavity.
The cause of stubborn breathing can also be intestinal pathology - enteritis and colitis accompanied by the development of inflammatory processes. As a result, toxic substances are taken into the blood, which are derived including through the lungs.
Fecal smell of mouth (yes, it happens) may indicate Dysbacteriosis or intestinal obstruction.
What to do? Visit the Cabinet of the Gastroenterologist and go through a comprehensive examination!
7. Diseases of internal organs
© Bluebay2014 / Canva
Ammonia smell of mouth may indicate the insufficiency of kidney functions.
When problems with the thyroid gland appears Smell iodine Due to the occurrence of the body with this substance.
About problems with the urinary system indicates Sour smell From the oral cavity.
The smell of rotten eggs Often accompanies liver disease.
Anemia appears Metal smell from mouth.
Special attention deserves The smell of acetone From the oral cavity. Its appearance can be provoked by infectious diseases, diabetes mellitus, violation of the liver, kidneys.
In any case, the diagnosis will be given a physician who will appoint a comprehensive examination or direct you to a narrow-profile specialist.
8. Harmful habits
© andranik Hakobyan / Canva
Let's start with smoking: nicotine, resins and many others Harmful substances present in tobacco smoke. They settle on the oral mucosa, accumulate and provoke an unpleasant smell of mouth.
The situation is aggravated by the fact that all these substances negatively affect the composition of saliva and provoke dryness in the mouth.
Finally, Smoking negatively affects the state of dental enamel and gum And we already found out that any pathological processes developing in the oral cavity are a common cause of Galitoz.
With the use of alcohol, things are not better. Ethanol not only overcourses the oral mucosa, but also destroys the liver, As a consequence, the salty smell comes from the mouth.
Throw and smoke, get up on skis and then you will not be offended! And forget about many beloved sayings: "Who does not smoke and do not drink, that healthy will die!"
© ThitaareesArmkasat / Canva
In an effort to find a slim figure, we are ready for any diet. Limiting or at all Excluding carbohydrates from the dietary, we launch the fat burning process, the side effect of which is becoming an unpleasant smell of mouth. In medicine, a similar phenomenon accompanying medical fasting and strict diets is called ketoacidosis.
Why does an unpleasant smell appear?
Everything is simple: with a lack of carbohydrates, the body takes from proteins and fats (the latter during combustion is excavated by ketone bodies having an unpleasant specific smell).
Moreover, if you have a smell of acetone from the oral cavity, immediately stop experimenting with your health for the sake of the shape! Such a sign indicates that the body has nothing to burn, that is, the ketone bodies remained without work and begin to flow into the blood, increasing its acidity and poisoning the body!
In trying to reduce the level of ketone bodies, our smart organism begins to distinguish them in the process of respiration, therefore the smell of acetone appears from the mouth.
On the other hand, it is Halitoz (not to be confused with ketoacidosis), appearing during a diet or when switching to proper nutrition, is a sign of the purification of the body from all those toxins and the disintegration products of metabolites, which have accumulated during the time when you pour your stomach hamburgers and Potato Fries.
If you keep drinking mode and eat balanced (that is, you do not forget that fats and proteins, and carbohydrates should be present in the diet, then within 2 - 3 weeks the specific odor from the oral cavity will be held independently.
How to check if there is an unpleasant smell of mouth?
© Jayfish / Canva
This is the most reliable way to find out if you are the owner of an unpleasant amber from the oral cavity. Therefore, the proportion and tactfulness, in this matter they are for nothing.
Mix your wrist
© Pond Saksit / Canva
This is a fairly informative and simple test, which is advisable to spend an hour after meals.
The essence of the dough:
- Swipe the middle part of the language on the inner surface of the wrist.
- Give saliva to dry for 5 - 10 seconds.
- Smoke your wrist, but note that the smell of mouth will be much stronger than what comes from the wrist.
Use a spoon or tooth thread
© Kamil Macniak / Canva
For testing, a teaspoon will need a teaspoon that needs to spend several times in the language to collect the flare and saliva.
The smell of the mouth will be identical to the one that you will feel, sniffing the contents of the breadpage (this is the so-called deep part of the spoon).
Do not want to bother with a spoon? Smoke tooth thread immediately after cleaning the teeth. She will no less informative about the smell of mouth.
Raise in a glass
- Take a glass of any material (the main thing is that it is clean).
- Apply the glass to the mouth.
- Make a deep breath and slowly exhale into the container.
- Inhale the air in the glass to evaluate the smell.
It will help to evaluate the freshness of breathing and the usual march. Fold a small cutout of gauze into several layers and wipe the surface of the language. By the smell of gauze, you can judge how fresh is your breathing.
If without gauze, glasses and spoons you feel that your breathing is far from the title of pure and fresh, you need to fight. How? Now we will tell.
How to get rid of the smell of mouth?
Immediately focus on the fact that mint lollipops, fresheners for the mouth, as well as chewing gum eliminate the smell only for a short time, so to speak "here" and "now." Therefore, we will immediately move on to heavy artillery, which will help for quite a long time (and maybe forever) forget about Halitoz.
1. Tea: ginger and green
© RG-VC / Canva
Green tea - powerful antioxidant, which includes Catechin Epihallokatekhin-3-Gallea (EGCG), which is favorable to the state of the gum and struggling with bacteria provoking the unpleasant smell of mouth.
But remember that without harm to health, it is recommended to drink no more than 500 ml of green tea per day. At the same time, sugar in tea is better replaced with honey (and even better drink tea without sweeteners).
No less effective in combating halitosis and Ginger tea, a cup of which will refresh their breath in a matter of seconds. This was stated by researchers from the Technical University of Munich under the leadership of Thomas Hofmann.
And thanks to the compound called Ginhegersol, which increases 16 times in the saliva of the enzyme that promotes the splitting of sulfur-containing compounds, which are guilty of the appearance of unpleasant odor in the oral cavity. Reference to research work is presented in the section "References and Bibliographic Links" section at the end of the article.
In addition, ginger in any form (whether the ginger drink, pickled either fresh ginger) reduces dryness in the mouth, since it activates saliva production (and we already know that insufficient salivation is one of the causes of Galitosis).
How to make ginger tea?
- Clean and grind the root of ginger.
- Cut one small lemon with thin circles (you can simply squeeze the juice from the lemon).
- Mix the ginger with juice or sliced lemon and pour a liter of boiling water.
- Give your drink for 2 to 4 hours.
- Straighten your drink and add a tablespoon of honey to it.
- Enjoy the delicious and very useful ginger tea, which will not only refresh their breath, but also leaves the cold and influenza!
© Lilechka75 / Canva
The use of living bacteria, that is, probiotics, not only reduce the amount of harmful bacteria in the oral cavity, but also normalizes the work of the intestine, population of its useful microflora. This will help eliminate the unpleasant smell of mouth.
Therefore, enrich your daily diet with natural yogurt (preferably without additives and preservatives) and kefir - useful and affordable products, in large quantities containing probiotics.
In 2017, an interesting study was conducted, the results of which were published in the magazine of Clinical Pediatrics (a link to work can be found in the section "References and Bibliographic Links" section).
The effect of yogurt and chewing gum with Xylitis on the Bacteria of Streptococcus Mutans, which destroys the teeth and thus contributes to the development of Galitose.
One group of subjects daily used 200 ml of yogurt, while the second group after each meal refreshed breathing with two chewing gum with xylitol.
In the second week of research in both groups, the highest decline in the bacterium of Streptococcus Mutans was observed. Based on this, it was concluded that the chewing gum with xylitol, and yoghurt equally protect their teeth from caries and struggle with Halitoz.
But still, from these two products, we are two hands "for" yogurt, because it is useful not only for teeth, but also for the body as a whole!
If you prefer chewing gum, remember that it must necessarily be without sugar. In addition, doctors recommend to chew a gum no more than 10 minutes.
3. Vegetables and fruits
© CentralitAlliance / Canva
Want to quickly eliminate the specific smell of mouth? Like a mint leaf or bay leaf. The kinse, dill or basil is also help.
Excellent alternative to fresh plants - decoctions. Especially effective at Halitoz Mint Rhoil for Rinsing Mouth:
- Cutting spoon of mint pepper pour a glass of boiling water.
- After boiling, cook our potion on slow fire for another 20 minutes.
- The fluid and cold decoction is used as a rinse 2 - 3 times a day.
Fans of fruits and vegetables can replace greens on citrus fruits, apples, carrots, bell pepper. Fresh solid vegetables and fruits not only contribute to the production of saliva, but also naturally remove bacteria from the surface of the teeth. However, it is not necessary to count on a long effect: the use of these products neutralizes the unpleasant odor for several hours.
Pay special attention to green products, which include green chlorophyll pigment, naturally deodorizing the oral cavity. High chlorophyll products include: Brussels, broccoli, spinach, parsley, sorrel.
Love spices? Fine! Carnation, cinnamon, cardamom, thyme and nutmeg You need to help in the refreshment of breathing.
Walnuts and sunflower seeds also neutralize the smell of oral cavity. In addition, this is an excellent source of energy that will help maintain the body in the tone between the main meals.
No less effective in combating halitosis and Coffee beans that should be chewed for a few minutes.
Another simple, but effective agent: Fresh lemon half juice, mixed with 150 ml of pure water.
© Tasipas / Canva
Herbal rinsing is an excellent way to not only get rid of Galitoza, but also to improve the oral cavity: eliminate inflammation and improve the state of the gum.
The easiest, affordable and efficient rinse recipe - infusion of daisy pharmacy. To make it cooking, pour the tablespoon of chamomile flowers with a glass of boiling water and let's breed for 30 minutes. Perfoliate the remedy and wish them the mouth twice a day.
However, herbalists recommend wandering herbs in the thermos and insist at least 8 hours, so that herbs to show their healing properties to the maximum. Therefore, in the presence of desire and time it is better to prepare infusion in the evening, but to use in the morning.
Want to simplify the preparation of this product as much as possible? No problem! After all, today in the pharmacy you can purchase chamomile in a convenient packet form. Brew 1 - 2 chamomile sachets by analogy with ordinary tea. Voila! Homemade with unpleasant odor is ready!
Want to strengthen the effect?
- Mix chamomile, leaf of wormwood and AIR in equal parts.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and pour the glass of boiling water.
- Insist the composition for rinsing the mouth is not less than half an hour.
And in general, the choice of herbs for rinsing the mouth is unlimited! Oak bark, strawberry leaves, mint, St. John's wort - Here are just a few of herbs that will help make breathing clean and fresh. All the infusions on the principle described above are preparing.
5. Essential oils
© 5PH / Canva
Oil rinsing is a great way to get rid of Galitoz and improve the oral mucosa.
The most pronounced effect in this regard is essential oils of tea tree and cinnamon. They significantly reduce the number of bacteria in the oral cavity provoking the selection of sulfur compounds perpetrators in stupid breathing.
If you believe the study conducted by Brazilian scientists, the treatment of the oral cavity with a solution with essential oil of the tea tree in its action is equivalent to rinse the mouth with an antimicrobial means of chlorhexidine. More details with the study can be found by clicking on the link placed at the end of the article in the section "References and Bibliographic Links" section.
How to prepare a solution with essential oils?
- Add 2 drops of essential oil and 2 - 3 drops of sunflower, linen or olive oil into a glass of warm water.
- Mix thoroughly.
- We have a mouthpiece twice a day.
The result will be noticeable after 2 days.
6. Vegetable oil
© Langan2 / Canva
Not very pleasant, but the rinse of mouth with vegetable oil is considered an effective tool from Galitoza.
To quickly eliminate the unpleasant smell in the mouth, it is necessary Within 3 - 4 minutes rinse your mouth with any vegetable oil (one tablespoon is enough to carry out this procedure). After rinse the oral cavity with boiled water.
Many recommend rinse mouth with oil for at least 15 minutes, but after one such protracted procedure, you are unlikely to want to repeat it again, despite effectiveness.
To enhance the effect, add one drop of essential oil to vegetable oil.
Vegetable oil absorbs residues from hard-to-reach places, neutralizes harmful bacteria, relieves inflammation and contributes to the rapid healing of the mucous membrane.
7. Apple vinegar
© Mythja / Canva
An unpleasant smell of mouth is perfectly neutralized by apple vinegar, which is recommended to rinse the mouth within 2 - 3 minutes 2 times a day.
Prepare the solution is very simple: spread A teaspoon of apple vinegar in a glass with warm water. Rinse for mouth is ready!
8. Soda, salt and iodine
© Ekramar / Canva
Tool based on salt, soda and iodine familiar to us since childhood. It is used mainly to rinse the throat, since it has disinfectant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
And the smaller the population of pathogenic bacteria in our mouth, the cleaner our breath.
To prepare the rinse, you will need:
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Soda - 1 tsp.
- Iodine - 2 drops.
- Roof temperature water - 200 ml.
We mix all the components and the mouth of your mouth with the resulting means twice a day.
Already after a few procedures, your breathing will become more fresh.
9. Hydrogen peroxide
© Jupiterimages / Canva
Where without her, Ramina? Moreover, this tool not only eliminates Galitosis, but also can whiten the teeth with regular use.
And we will warn you immediately: In pure form you can not use hydrogen peroxide! For rinsing, it is necessary to prepare a solution of 3 teatingons of three-percent hydrogen peroxide and 250 ml of water temperature water.
Rinse your mouth with this means is recommended at least twice a day.
If during the procedure you will feel easy burning, and foam is formed in the mouth - do not be afraid! This means that there are wound on the mucosa, which are disinfected with peroxide solution during rinsing.
It is important not to swallow the solid for rinsing and strictly observe these proportions, Since too concentrated solution can burn the tender mucous membrane of the oral cavity and the esophagus.
10. Activated coal
© Olga Ivanova / Canva
If the smell of the mouth is triggered by problems with the stomach or intestines, namely, the activated carbon will help to improve the situation.
Activated carbon is accepted according to the following scheme: 4 tablets on an empty stomach in the morning and 4 tablets immediately before bedtime. Duration of application - 7 days (maximum 2 weeks in coordination with the doctor).
Finally, we want to recall once again that without eliminating the main reason it is impossible to get rid of Galitoz once and for all, to any effective means you did not resort.
Therefore, do not postpone the visit to the doctor in the "Long Box" if Halitoz became your faithful companion! Take care of yourself and be healthy!
The smell of mouth can cause attention to us. And it is bad, because only an unpleasant smell is not particularly noticed. If the sustainable unpleasant smell appears, it is necessary to look for what caused its reason. Treatment of smell of mouth is not the elimination of the symptom, but the treatment of the smell of the disease.
Unpleasant It is able to significantly spoil our life. He makes it difficult to communicate with other people and destroys our image.
How to determine if you have an unpleasant smell of mouth?
The person himself is usually unable to determine whether he smells from his mouth or not: the nose does not react to smells entering from the inside of the body. If we doubt whether our mouth does not smell, the easiest way to ask about this from other people. There are also ways to find out the issue with the smell on their own, for example, to make three minutes through a disposable medical mask. The smell remaining in the mask will correspond to what people are feeling next to us.
Unpleasant smell of mouth: physiology or illness?
Unpleasant in the language of medicine called Halitoz . The physiological and pathological halitosis distinguish. The smell of mouth is often manifested in the morning. During the night, bacteria and their livelihoods are accumulated in the mouth, which cause a bad smell. Such a halitosis is physiological and eliminated by simple cleaning of teeth. Also, the physiological halitosis refers to the smell due to the use of a number of products, such as garlic, bow, cabbage. This smell will disappear, as soon as the substances that caused it will bring out of the body. But it also happens that the unpleasant smell is not eliminated using hygienic procedures, in which case, most likely, it has a pathological nature.
Unpleasant smell of mouth: reasons
The most common cause of an unpleasant smell is the active life of pathological bacteria in the oral cavity. Diseases such as caries, periodontitis, pulpitis, periodontitis, gingivitis, stomatitis, as well as the formation of a tooth stone can lead to the emergence of persistent smell of mouth.
The second place among the causes of the unpleasant smell takes dry mouth (medical term - xerostomy ). Moisturizing our mouth of mica possesses bactericidal qualities. She kills bacteria, neutralizes their products of their livelihood, rinsing and cleans the oral cavity. If the saliva is not produced enough, the bacteria are activated, as a result of which the smell appears. Suchness in the mouth can be a consequence of diseases, receiving a number of medical drugs. It can also be due to age: over time, the salivary glands begin to work less intensively, the composition of saliva changes, its antibacterial properties are lost.
The smell can also be caused by ENT diseases: angina, chronic tonsillitis, sinusitis, rhinestone.
Another reason for an unpleasant smell - diseases of internal organs. It can be:
- renal failure;
- liver failure;
- gastric diseases (gastritis, stomach ulcer);
- Lung disease.
Smoking is also the cause of persistent unpleasant smell of mouth. The smell causes substances contained in tobacco smoke and settle in the oral cavity. The only way to eliminate the unpleasant smell in this case is to quit smoking.
What is the unpleasant smell of mouth?
The smell features can indirectly indicate the source of problems.
Hydrogen sulfide smell (The smell of the fiberglass) indicates the rotation of protein substances. Such a smell is characteristic of digestion problems. Resistant hydrogen sulfide smell may indicate gastritis with reduced acidity or stomach ulcers.
Outlook And the corresponding taste in the mouth is observed in gastritis with increased acidity. Such a smell may appear at an early stage of the disease, when other symptoms are still missing.
Bitter smell And the taste in the mouth is typical for diseases of the liver and gallbladder. An additional symptom is the appearance of yellow climbing.
The smell of acetone and accompanying his sweet taste in the mouth - a characteristic symptom of diabetes.
The smell of urine From the mouth indicates the disease of the urogenital system (first of all, the kidneys or bladder).
The smell of Cala It may occur with intestinal diseases (dysbacteriosis, intestinal dyskinesia, intestinal obstruction).
Putrefactive The smell of the mouth is typical for dental diseases (inflammatory processes of teeth and gums).
Unpleasant smell of mouth: what to do?
The struggle against the unpleasant smell of mouth begins with careful observance of the rules of the oral cavity. If the source of the smell is the activity of bacteria, the proper cleaning of the teeth will help. Teeth should be cleaned not only from the outside, but also with the inner, as well as process the chewing surface of the teeth. The slope of the brush should be 45 °. With the help of the dental thread, hard-to-reach places between the teeth are processed. If the teeth are in the deficent state, the problem is not solved with simple teeth cleaning. It will be necessary to visit the dentist and remove the dented stone, and if there are caries on the teeth - cure them. It is recommended to visit the dentist at least one or twice a year.
It is also necessary to deal with the dryness of the mucous membrane. If you felt dry mouth, make a few sips of water, rinse your mouth. However, it should be remembered that often the dry dryness in the mouth may be a symptom of serious diseases. However, like an unpleasant smell itself. Therefore, if there is a resistant smell of mouth, it is necessary to see the doctor and pass the examination.
What doctor to treat a complaint about the smell of mouth?
An unpleasant smell of mouth is not a disease, but a symptom. It is necessary to establish the cause - a disease that causes an unpleasant smell - and start its treatment.
If you suspect that the smell is caused by problems in the oral cavity, you should contact the dentist. If, besides the smell of other symptoms pointing to a disease of one or another organ, you can seek advice on the therapist.
How many humanity exists, so much accompany his different sores, and each has its own informal status in the people. Noble migraine, for example, can be discussed in the team, to walked about his gravial share, listen to sympathetic advice and meet an understanding. How, the disease of the aristocrats, it seems like fashionable. Whether the Calitosis case, in a simple way, is an unpleasant smell of mouth, which is usually trying to desperately hide, for ashamed. One "But" - this problem does not bypass even the representatives of the Blue Blood. Yes Yes! There are even top lists of stars with the most disadvantage of breathing from the mouth. If this problem already touched you, you do not want to get into a similar list among your friends and acquaintances or you just wonder to learn about Khalitosis in detail, read on - you will find a lot of curious.
Trap for smell, or how to find the enemy
Covarism of Khalitoza It is that a person can live quietly and not suspect that he has an aroma of his mouth - Mom does not burn. This is because the specifics of our noses are such that we are very quickly used to smells. For example, if you go to the room, where it smells not very good, then obvious discomfort will be felt only in the first minutes. Then coming coming. Also, for a person, it becomes the usual smell, even if not the most pleasant. The surrounding most likely will be silent from politeness, but they will not be promoted to note your uncleanness. So how to understand whether their manner is to stay away with the reaction to your amber or are they just guarding their personal space?
Lisen your pure dry brush and let dry the skin. The smell that will be felt after that reflects the smell of the tip of your tongue. In this zone, the language is cleaned more than in the root area, the plaque on the front of the language is small, therefore the smell is weaker there. To increase the accuracy of the test and find out how you actually smell from your mouth, try to spend dry finger along the root of the language and also sniff the skin. Bacteria that provoke the appearance of the smell, there is more, respectively, the test result may surprise you.
Take an unused cellophane bag or roll the paper sheet with a cone. Inhale the air and exhale the mouth into the resulting container (the bag must fit to the lips!). Then quickly sniff it inside - well, how do you?
Unpleasant smell of mouth: reasons
Where do the legs from Khalitoz grow? Factors here a lot:
- Caries and its complications (pulpits, periodontitis, periostites and other inflammatory teeth diseases).
- Periodontitis and periodontal diseases. In the periodontal pockets accumulate raid and microorganisms, as well as decomposing food residues.
- Inflammatory diseases of the oral mucosa
- Pathology of ENT organs (sinusitis, laryngitis, tracheitis), as well as rhinitis
- Dry mouth. Insufficient saliva generation leads to a violation of the self-cleaning process, which creates excellent conditions for breeding bacteria (remember what the smell of mouth in the morning, because the saliva is small at night). The products of their livelihoods create an unpleasant smell. A similar situation occurs when the nasal is concluded and forced breathing through the mouth, when the mucosa dries.
- Diseases of internal organs (especially the gastrointestinal tract).
- Parasitic invasion
- Unsatisfactory oral hygiene
- Incorrect care for dental structures (braces, prostheses).
To find out the true cause of an unpleasant smell will help the consultation of a dentist and, on necessities, doctors of other specialties. Perhaps you will need to pass an additional examination (for example, FDGDs in suspected gastritis or stomach ulcery, or scraping with inflammatory mucosa diseases).
Root problems - microorganisms
Why is an unpleasant smell of mouth so persistent and appears again and again? To deal with the problem, you need to understand the mechanism of occurrence in general. As you know, the mouth is "house" for a variety of bacteria, microorganisms, mushrooms. Naturally, they like all living organisms, feed and distinguish between life waste. The more plaque on the teeth - the more comfortable the bacteria feel, because the preferred environment for them is an oxygen-free, and under the layer of the plate, such conditions are created. Microorganisms allocate sulfur compounds, it is they who have a sharp smell and are felt repulsive. It is noteworthy that even if a person thoroughly cleans his teeth, in some cases (for example, progressive periodontal), deep periodontal pockets cannot be cleaned independently, and they become a source of mall odor. The same applies to traffic jams in purulent angina, when white lumps of pus accumulate in the lacunas.
Nasty smell from the mouth
In children, this problem occurs less frequently than in adults, because, as a rule, the average child has not yet had time to get chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, and the teeth are so not all cut through. But what if you felt an unpleasant smell from your mouth? The reasons here are the same as in adults: in this way the body flashes about malfunctions in the body. So somewhere there is a failure and it is necessary to carry out a full-fledged examination. Adenoids may serve as a pre-school and school age in children of preschool and school age. The scheme is simple: adenoid growth overlap the path of air / breathing with the nose is replaced by the mouth / mucousness drying / saliva becomes little and the bacteria multiply, generating repellent breathing. And if it's a little baby? Many mothers are interested in what could be the cause of the problem, if the child is a year. An unpleasant smell of mouth at this age can already appear when the depression on the teeth (by the year, they normally 8), the presence of worms, the abuse of carbohydrate products (sweets, sweets).
Important! It should be alert if the smell of acetone is felt. It is necessary to refer to the endocrinologist for examination for diabetes and other electrolyte violations.
How to get rid of the unpleasant smell of mouth
To begin with, estimate the scale of the problem. An unpleasant smell of mouth after sleeping is normal. To get rid of it, quite ordinary hygienic morning procedures (teeth cleaning, rinse). If the reason in the swelling bacteria - will be more difficult, but also to really pacify them. What measures will be effective? How to remove the unpleasant smell of mouth and forget about the problem?
1) Correction of the diet.
The more protein food you consume, the worse the "aroma". Having degraded bacteria the ability to highlight flicker gases, you can significantly reduce the number of the army of the enemy. "More vegetable - less meat" - stick to this maiden and you will notice the improvement from the first days
2) Careful oral hygiene
Fortunately, the modern dental industry offers a huge amount of teeth care and gums for every taste and wallet. Boldly allow ultrasound brushes, irrigators, rinsing, floss. For the development of motivation in children, you can buy brushes in the form of funny animals and arrange competitions - who will better clean your teeth today? For those who wear braces or use prostheses, we inform (in case you did not know): There is a special series of care products for orthodontic structures (rams, special brushes, etc.), facilitating the care of the teeth. Regular hygiene measures clean the oral cavity from bacteria and refresh their breath. Do not forget about the professional cleaning of the dentist once every six months.
3) smoking refusal
Smokers do not notice how silently their breathing, and there are no expensive cigarettes, nor candy, nor chewing. But it is perfectly noticed by others. Leaving aside the morality about the dangers of smoking, say simply - smell or not with decaying tobacco and products more than 5,000 chemical compounds (in cigarette smoke it is about so much), to solve you.
3) elimination of the main problem
If the snag in any particular disease, then no rinsing and cheers will be able to remove the khalitosis, the maximum - disguise it for a while. Eliminate the foci of infection in the oral cavity, pass the teeth, cure the stomach, almonds, simply say - do all the cases of health, to which "hands did not reach", and the problem of unpleasant smell will eliminate in parallel with the main treatment.
Prevention - your all!
If you think that you won the unpleasant smell of mouth, the treatment is completed and you can relax - you are mistaken. He may return very quickly, so listen to simple recommendations.
Useful Tips for Fresh Breathing:
- Drink more water. A sufficient admission to the body of water provides a high solventness of saliva and washing the microbes.
- Consume more solid fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables serve as a kind of "grater" for plaque, removing it from the surface of the teeth. Less plaque - less smell!
- Stimulate salivation. This can be achieved if you chew something. Optional chewing. The production of saliva increases with chewing some seeds and fruits with essential oils, such as cloves, parsley, mint.
In conclusion, we want to remind the fact that in antiquity by smell of the mouth of a person could be added to the performance of the character. Subconsciously, this is happening today. The conclusion is one - it's better to follow your health, it is reasonable from all points of view, as you have already had to make sure of it.
An unpleasant smell of mouth is a fairly frequent phenomenon that a significant psychological discomfort is delivered. However, often the cause of such a state and the investigation lie in violations of the functional activity of the digestive, respiration and isolation. Therefore, it is very important to conduct differential diagnosis of the reasons for the appearance of the smell of the mouth with their subsequent elimination. As a result, the smell itself will disappear.
With certain situations, the appearance of the smell of mouth (term - halitosis) is temporary and normal. It usually develops due to an increase in the activity of saprophyte and conditionally pathogenic bacterial flora in the oral cavity. At the same time, the teeth formed raids with a large content of bacteria and nutrients. During the life of microorganisms, gas is produced by hydrogen sulfide, which gives an unpleasant smell of exhaled air. The activation of the bacterial oral flora without pathological processes occurs in several cases:
- Insufficient oral hygiene - mainly due to improper or inappropriate cleaning of the teeth, between which the remains of food remain.
- Night increase in the number of microorganisms in the oral cavity and on the heat surface - at night the amount of saliva (contains lysozyme, which has a destructive effect on bacteria) and its circulation in the mouth decreases, which leads to the appearance of the smell of mouth in the morning. Morning hygienic procedures allow you to get rid of it.
Normally, halitosis may be temporary due to the use of sharp smelling foods (onions, garlic). It aggravates the situation with the advent of unpleasant smell smoking, as after the last rounded cigarette, the products of burning tobacco and nicotine are distinguished about a day from the lungs with exhaled air, giving it an unpleasant smell. Also, after using alcohol, its discharge from the blood occurs to a greater extent through the lungs with exhaled air.
Types of Galitoza
Depending on the objectivity of the appearance of unpleasant odor, several types of halitosis are distinguished:
- True Halitoz - an unpleasant smell notice the surrounding people is a consequence of pathological processes or has physiological origin.
- Pseudogalitosis (false halitosis) is characterized by the periodic appearance of a hardly captured smell of mouth, to which a person attaches great importance, believing that it smells very unpleasant.
- GalitoFobia is a psychological symptom, in which a person seems to be that he has an unpleasant smell of mouth, without objective confirmation.
The psychological aspects of the apparent existence of the smell of the mouth require an objective exclusion of true Galitoz, followed by consulting and psychotherapy at a psychologist's doctor.
Causes of the smell of mouth
Depending on the localization of the pathological process, leading to the development of Galitosis, 2 main groups of causal (etiological) factors - oral and systemic causes are distinguished.
Oral reasons for Galitoza
In this case, the appearance of unpleasant smell of the mouth leads the pathological processes of the oral cavity itself. These include:
- Stomatitis - inflammatory pathology of the mucous membrane of the mouth, caused by bacteria (staphylococcus, streptococcus) or fungi (fungi genus Candida).
- Gingivitis - a variant of pathology at which the inflammatory process is localized on the gum mucosa.
- The presence of one or more teeth affected by caries with the formation of cavity in them with a large number of bacteria.
- The development of a dental stone - a dental flare, which seeps salts of minerals (calcium salts) with its hardening and development of chronic infection in it. More often a denticle is the result of gum pathology (gums of pockets), which are loosely covering the necks of the teeth and the space between their side edges.
- The teething of the tooth 8 of the molar ("tooth of wisdom") with the formation of a hood from the gums - in this place is created favorable conditions for the accumulation of food residues, bacteria and the development of inflammation. In addition to the appearance of an unpleasant smell of mouth, often accompanied by pain in the field of teething tooth.
- Glossite is an inflammatory process in a tongue shell, which can flow together with gingivitis or stomatitis.
- The pathology of the salivary glands, leading to changes in the chemical and physico-colloidal properties of saliva - it becomes more viscous, and contains little lysozyme, which contributes to the development of the bacterial flora in the oral cavity and the appearance of an unpleasant odor.
- The presence of various prosthetic or orthopedic structures, between which the remains of food and bacteria can accumulate - dental crowns, briquettes in children, bridges almost always contribute to the development of Galitose.
One of the reasons leading to the appearance of unpleasant smell of the mouth is xerostomy - increased dryness of the mucous membrane, due to a decrease in the amount of saliva and enhancing its viscosity. This may occur after the use of alcohol, expressed emotional stress or stress, as well as after the use of certain drugs (some groups of antibiotics, hormonal agents, antihistamine antiallergic drugs).
Common reasons smell from mouth
This group of reasons include diseases of various organs and systems, one of the manifestations of which is the appearance of unpleasant odor. Such diseases include:
- The pathology of the digestive tract - in the event of the development of diseases of the stomach or intestines, the processes of digestion and suction of food are violated, which is reflected in the appearance of the smell of mouth. It is most often happening in gastritis with reduced acidity (inflammation of the gastric mucosa with insufficient synthesis of gastric juice), pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas with a decrease in the products of digestive enzymes), the insufficiency of the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus, dysbacteriosis (violation of the intestinal microflora ratio with an increase in the amount of conditionally pathogenic and putrefactive bacteria).
- The pathology of the liver and biliary tract - hepatitis, cholecystitis (inflammatory process in the bustling bubble), gall-eyed disease. With these diseases, the feeling of bitterness in it often is often joined to an unpleasant smell.
- The infectious process in the upper or lower respiratory tract is tracheitis, bronchitis, sometimes pneumonia (lung inflammation) with parallel cough development or shortness of breath.
- Inflammatory process in organs that are in anatomical proximity to the oral cavity - tonsillitis (inflammation of almonds), sinusitis or front (inflammatory process in the bone sinuses of the nose). In the development of such pathological processes, the unpleasant smell also appears when air exhaled through the nose.
- The metabolic disorders in the body with the accumulation of substances in the blood, which are derived through the respiratory system and give an unpleasant or sharp smell of the exhaled air - the unpleasant smell of acetone from the mouth occurs with a significant accumulation of ketone compounds in blood with diabetes or ketonemia in small children.
- Acute or chronic renal failure is a serious pathological condition of the body, in which the removal of the exchange of exchange products with urine is disturbed. They accumulate in the blood (uremia) and begin to partially allochange the respiratory system by giving a characteristic "renal" smell of exhaled air.
Most of the common causal factors for the development of Galitoz are serious diseases that require diagnosis and correct, urgent treatment measures.
Manifestation of the smell of mouth depending on its cause
According to the nature of the smell and other concomitant symptoms, it can be assumed the main pathological cause of its appearance:
- Plightened smell with a feeling of pain while eating in the mouth - a sign of the inflammatory process in the mucous membrane of the oral cavity, language or gums.
- Periodic or dental pain against the background of Galitosis indicates caries of teeth or tooth stone. In case of pain in the corner of the mouth - the possible cause of an unpleasant smell can be the process of teething "tooth wisdom".
- Halitosis with a feeling of dryness in the mouth and thirst - the result of an insufficient amount of the solss produced or changes to its properties.
- Parallel development of dyspeptic syndrome (air belching, an unstable chair, meteorism) indicates problems in the digestive tract, which provoked an unpleasant smell of mouth.
- The fish smell with a feeling of bitterness in the mouth - the likely reason is the pathology of the liver or gallway paths. It often develops pain and gravity in the field of right hypochondrium.
- The characteristic "renal" smell of the mouth requires immediate appeal for medical care and surveys to exclude the development of renal failure.
- The sharp smell of acetone is also a signal to the possible development of diabetes in an adult or ketonemia in a small child.
Such characteristic manifestations of Galitose allow you to suspect the main cause of its development, but for its accurate establishment is necessary for diagnosis.
Unpleasant smell of mouth: diagnostics
Objectively assess the smell of the mouth will help another person. There are also special devices for determining the concentration of various substances (in particular hydrogen sulfide) in exhaled air. To clarify the reasons for Galitoz in a medical institution, an additional survey is carried out, which includes:
- Inspection of the oral cavity - with inflammation of the mucosa of its structures, hyperemia is developing (redness) and raids.
- Laboratory testing of blood for the presence of inflammatory changes in it, increasing glucose levels during diabetes mellitus.
- Determination of diurea (daily amount of urine allocated) and clinical urine analysis for the diagnosis of renal failure.
- Instrumental examination of the organs of the digestive tract, liver and gallstrap paths - ultrasound, gastroduodenoscopy.
- Radiography of the sinuses of the nose (gaymorkas and frontal sines) to determine the presence of inflammation in them.
Additional research will help to establish the exact cause of Galitoz and begin adequate activities aimed at eliminating it.
Treatment of unpleasant smell of mouth
All therapeutic measures for halitosis are aimed at eliminating the causes of unpleasant odor of the mouth and include:
- Daily oral hygiene and teeth using toothpastes and brushes for additional cleaning of the surface of the tongue from the raids (the reverse side of the brush has special soft rollers). If there is an orthopedic product or prosthetic oral cavities - its hygiene must be carried out more often using special means of rinsers with antiseptic properties (destroy bacteria).
- The use of local antiseptics to combat bacterial inflammation of the oral mucosa.
- Treatment at the dentist of carious teeth or their stones. In the case of teething, the "tooth wisdom" is carried out surgical cutting of the hood from the gums above it.
- Antibiotic therapy using a wide range of action for the treatment of bacterial inflammatory processes in the oral cavity or near-axis sinuses is carried out only by appointment and under the control of the doctor.
- Outpatient or inpatient treatment (depending on the severity and severity of the process) pathology of the digestive, respiration, kidney, liver in case of their diagnosis.
An unpleasant smell of mouth is not only a psychological or social problem that limits comfortable communication with other people, but also may be a manifestation of various pathologies. Therefore, it is very important to differentiate the causal factors and their elimination that led to its appearance.
Unpleasant (Halitoz) arises in healthy people after night sleep, with smoking, eating products with a sharp aroma. The main pathological reasons include diseases of the teeth and the oral cavity, the disease of the digestive system, chronic infections of the ENT organs. To establish the etiological factors of Galitosis, dental and ENT inspections are shown. Endoscopic, radiological and laboratory diagnostic methods are carried out. Treatment of bad smell of mouth implies thorough oral hygiene, conservative and surgical methods to eliminate the main pathology.
Causes of unpleasant smell of mouth
In the morning, an unpleasant smell of mouth is observed with almost all people. It appears due to a decrease in saliva production and concomitant disorders of self-purification of the oral cavity. Sometimes the symptom is combined with a disknowing taste in the mouth, tongue. In the elderly, Halitoz also occurs during the day, even when complying with hygiene requirements. This is due to a decrease in saliva isolating and an increase in the number of pathogenic microorganisms in chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The unpleasant smell is triggered by the reproduction of microorganisms, their cluster in the language and the gums. Therefore, people who rarely clean their teeth, halitosis is constant. Also, the symptom is associated with the features of nutrition and bad habits. In smokers with experience, an unpleasant odor cannot be removed even with the help of mint paste and chewing gum. A short-term Halitoz is noted in the abuse of garlic and onions, eating dishes with plenty of spices.
There is the concept of "imaginary halitosis". Such a problem appears in connection with excessive concern about the nature of the smell of mouth. At the same time, a person has a normal fresh breathing, and there are no real reasons for experiences about this. Galitopobia is observed in neurosis, emotional overvoltage, increased anxiety. Sometimes imaginary halitosis is a sign of mental disorder.
PTA cavity diseases
Dental diseases make up 80-90% of the pathological causes that cause an unpleasant odor. Halitosis becomes the first sign of caries of teeth, dental stones, periodontitis. The symptom occurs in acute and chronic systalinite. An unpleasant smell is felt by a man constantly. Hygienic tools for rinsing the mouth helps for a while cope with non-breathing, but fails to completely eliminate the problem.
In addition, the symptom marks the increased sensitivity of the teeth to cold and hot food. Often, man is experiencing an acute toothpow. In the chronic process, the Halitosis serves as the main sign of pathology, and the pain syndrome is negligible. Another typical reason is stomatitis of various etiology. Patients with this disease bothers not only an unpleasant smell, but also burning, painful sensations, increasing during meals.
Diseases of the branch bodies
The damage to the digestive tract is the second frequency group of the causes of stupid breathing. The appearance of a symptom is mainly due to insufficient digestion. As a result, complex chemical compounds are subjected to fermentation and rotting processes. During these reactions, substances having an unpleasant smell are formed. The most common states that provoke Halitoz:
- Gastritis. For inflammation of the stomach with reduced acidity, a unpleasant rotten smell of an oxygen is characterized, which is due to disorders of the combustion of food due to the lack of hydrochloric acid. With hyperacid gastritis, ulcerative disease is observed sour breathing.
- Enteropathy. The symptom occurs with the insufficiency of individual enzymes (for example, lactase). Halitosis appears only in disabilities of the diet and the use of prohibited products. An unpleasant smell is often found in suffering celiac disease.
- Pathology of the biliary system. Chronic cholecystitis and dyskinesia of biliary tract are accompanied by regular bitter exhaust, which causes Halitosis. For these diseases, a thick yellow or grayish flare in the tongue is also typical.
- Chronic pancreatitis. It is manifested by the enzymatic deficiency of the pancreas, as a result of which partially digested food accumulates in the small intestine. This causes the presence of stupid breathing. Halitosis is combined with steamer, creature.
- New formation. Strong stencil smell with breathing is an important sign of the tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, which are in the decay stage. Symptom pathognomonic for gastric and esophagus cancer. Also, Halitoz can be disturbed with benign neoplasms that violate the passage of food on the digestive tract.
Chronic respiratory diseases
The unpleasant smell of the mouth is found in excessive reproduction of pathogenic bacteria or mushrooms. Chronic inflammation arises, the mine is distinguished, which is the cause of Galitosis. Usually this symptom develops with atrophic and hypertrophic rhines, sinusites. An unpleasant smell is a symptom of angina. Silver breathing, which is heard at a distance, is characteristic of abscesses of light and bronchiectatic disease.
In patients, the frequency of infectious lesions of the skin and mucous membranes increases, so the unpleasant smell is often due to stomatitis. In the development of a diabetic coma with ketoacidosis, the patient's mouth smells like acetone. The symptom is accompanied by harsh weakness and drowsiness, dry mucous membranes. There are sharp headaches and stomach pains, in the later stages consciousness violates.
In acute liver failure, an unpleasant sweet-shrew smell of mouth appears. It is caused by a violation of the excretory function of the organ and the accumulation of toxic products in the blood. For renal failure, the aroma of acetone (the smell of uroin apples) is typical. In the terminal stage of peritonitis, the breath of the patient becomes silent, acquires a "cavalous smell".
Complications of pharmacotherapy
The unpleasant smell of the mouth is provoked by drugs that reduce the selection of saliva. The symptom development mechanism is based on the insufficiency of the natural purification of the oral cavity, the accumulation of food particles and increased reproduction of conditionally pathogenic microorganisms. Cerostomy and halitosis often arise immediately after prescribing medication, or after a dose increase. The symptom causes:
- Medicines affecting the CNS : Antidepressants, neuroleptics, anxiolitics.
- Anticholinergic means : Antihrugal, antihistamines, antispasmodics.
- Opioids : Methadone, hydromorphone.
- Hypotensive drugs : beta adrenoblockers, calcium channel blockers, diuretics.
With the problem of stupid breathing, patients usually turn to a dentist-therapist or a gastroenterologist. The doctor conducts a diagnostic complex in his profile, presses the consultation of related specialists if necessary. To discover many dental diseases, a sufficient visual inspection of the oral cavity. With halitosis, the following laboratory and instrumental methods are used:
- Lor inspection. Standard surveys are performed - front and rear rosicopia, pharyngoscopy, indirect laryngoscopy. During the inspection, the doctor takes a stroke from the zea and nose for analysis. If there are changes in almonds, it is necessary to carry out bacteriological sowing of the plaque.
- X-ray study. The orthopantomogram is recommended for teeth diseases to assess the prevalence of the process. X-ray examination of the tract with contrast is informative when diagnosing ulcers, diverticulus, neoplasms. Radiography of the apparent sinuses of the nose - the method of confirmation of the sinusitis.
- Endoscopic methods . EFGDS is used in suspicion of chronic gastritis. In case of inspection, hyperemia of the gastric mucosa, the presence of erosion, violation of the tone of the cardiac and pyloric sphincter is determined. Bronchoscopy is necessary to confirm the bronchiectatic disease.
- Analyzes . The hemogram is prescribed to quickly identify the signs of the inflammatory process. In biochemical analysis of blood, it is possible to deproteinemia, an increase in the level of creatinine and urea, cytolysis syndrome. When evaluating the coprogram pay attention to the number of neutral fats, untapped muscle fibers.
Help before diagnosis
Lifestyle, food and hygienic skills play a big role in Galitoz's therapy. To eliminate the physiological causes of an unpleasant smell, it is necessary to brush the teeth 2 times a day at least 3 minutes, do not forget to clean the tongue from the plaque. For mouth hygiene, it is necessary to use tooth thread and refreshing rinsers. To quickly refresh the breath, you can use chewing gum without sugar.
It is necessary to cut the eating garlic and onions, reduce the number of sharp meat dishes, red wine. It is advisable to limit daily coffee consumption to 1-2 cups. Available breathing refreshments - apples, carrots, green leafy vegetables. Doctors advise to abandon smoking, because there is no unpleasant smell of cigarette resins to eliminate any methods.
If halitosis occurs on the background of drug xerostomy, it is necessary to cancel or reduce the doses of drugs. Specific drugs that allow eliminate the unpleasant odor from the oral cavity does not exist. Therefore, therapy comes down to getting rid of its cause. Most often, a person is required qualified dental care. After the cavity of the oral cavity, Halitosis disappears.
In gastrointestinal diseases, not only etiotropic treatment, on and receiving enzyme preparations are carried out. Replacement enzyme therapy normalizes the processes of digestion, eliminates stagnation and fermentation. Thanks to this, breathing becomes fresh. In case of ENT diseases, etiopathogenetic therapy is selected. Emergency conditions will be stopped in resuscitation conditions.
The treatment of Galitophobia is primarily aimed at normalizing the psycho-emotional state of the patient. Psychotherapy sessions are recommended, light sedatives and tranquilizers are applied. People with imaginary halitosis are prescribed general activities: careful care for the oral cavity and teeth, control over the diet, restriction of alcohol consumption.
Operational intervention is carried out in the launched forms of gastrointestinal diseases, oncological processes. Taking into account the nature of the disease, either excision of pathological education is shown, or partial resection of the organ. When calculatory cholecystitis, cholecystectomy is performed. In bronchiectasis and destructive processes in the pulmonary parenchyma recommended lobectomy of the lung.